Friday 11 September 2009

A Slippery Situation

I was following a fuel tanker coming off the roundabout at Junction 31 when it started spewing diesel out the back and onto the road.  He seemed completely oblivious and left a huge trail of diesel round a roundabout and up a hill.  Needless to say driving through it was more than a little treacherous!  Especially in a rear wheel drive car on the roundabout - fortunately my karting trips had instilled a few useful reflexes and I recovered from a several spins before I had time to even think about it.  Maybe the traction control helped a little too!  Now my whole car absolutely stinks even though I had the air on recycle and there's diesel all up the sides by the wheels. 

I suppose I should be a little grateful that I wasn't a few minutes further down the road as apparently it's turned into complete chaos with the side road and possibly the main roundabout both being closed.  I wouldn't have a clue how to get to the office any other way.  It also seems that the telephone exchange for the office is down there and all the phones are out too.  I'm not quite sure how a fuel spillage can take out a telephone exchange but apparently it can.  Let's hope the terrorists don't figure that one out. 

Fingers crossed it will be all cleared up before I leave this evening.

2 comments:

  1. Blimey! That sounds like it could have been really nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, quite lucky I was following it after stopping at some lights so never got up to attack speed. That would have been much more dodgy. Had to take my car to the carwash in the end, the garage just reeked, like, well, a garage.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated...