Thursday 24 September 2009

Nature Photographer - Part II

Things are getting more exciting in the garden as we discovered we had not one, but two hedgehogs rummaging through the dropped bird food and Phoebe leftovers (we shake Phoebe's floor protecting tablecloth out near the bird table as well.) We've called the big one Harry and the smaller one Harriet.

On the photography front things are looking up too. In true obsessive style I crumbled in the face of my previous inadequacy and bought a wide aperture lens. Not, (un)fortunately the really expensive one that I actually wanted but a much cheaper model, just to see if the faster lens made a significant difference to the photographs. I'm pleased to report that it does, I got a more or less sharp handheld shot of Harriet and lots of blurry ones too, the damn things just won't stay still! I still don't have a tripod of course or a remote shutter release but let's not forget that in a few weeks I'll be unemployed again so that's probably enough spending for now. The other good news is that they don't seem too mind the camera noise too much (Harry especially) which means I will hopefully have a few more chances. I've also noticed that Harry likes to circle the garden following a route which takes him right under the outside light where I've determined I can take relatively fast shutter speed photos which should result in some decently sharp shots. All I need to do is camp out by the garden furniture for a few nights and with any luck I'll get some really good photos of him.

My polarising filter should be turning up any day now as well, which will give me a good chance to take some shots of the fish and crabs in the impressive sea aquarium at the office without any nasty reflections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated...