Monday 21 September 2009

Crown Estates Tokaji Aszú 2002

Another desert wine (of course) this one a fair bit more expensive than the ones I usually buy and therefore slightly more disappointing. The lady in the wine shop was raving about it so I was very excited as I poured it out but to be honest it's not all that great. Well, not that great in proportion to it's cost. It's certainly nice enough and is a bit sharper (by reading the label I have discovered that this is called acidity but to normal people that's just sourness) than most desert wines - probably 7/9 on the Sainsburys white wine sweetness scale, I'm so classy, which although it may mean that you can drink it a bit more in an everyday situation surely somewhat defeats the object of having a desert wine in the first place. Isn't the whole point of a desert wine is that it's supposed to be sweet? Making one that's more acidic isn't actually a good thing. Yet somehow wine people obviously think it is. Clearly I have a long way to go as a wine aficionado.

I thought it tasted very like the Australian Botrytis Semillon I enjoyed extensively on my first flight to New Zealand, which is good because after reading the label I discovered that it is also made using grapes affected by Botrytis so a) it should taste similar and b) my nose is still in working order. But c) you can basically get exactly the same thing much cheaper.

I should also note that the wine contained five Puttonyos of Aszú grapes. Yes. Five. Five whole Puttonyos. Not half Puttonyos, oh no and none of your three or four Puttonyos rubbish either. I think that's supposed to be good. Clearly though, it's a load of poncy wine bollocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated...