Tuesday 11 August 2009

The Second Plague

Or - Arrrgh! Maggots!

This is quite literally yucktastic. Whilst I was upstairs removing the 13 spiders that had taken up residence overnight, the Lovely Hayley spotted a maggot in the kitchen which was unpleasant but seemed fairly innocuous. Then a bit later on she found another, and then another, and... Well you get the idea. Further investigation uncovered around 50 or so all round the utility room, under the doormat and even in the doormat buried deep into the fibres. So that went straight in the bin - wrapped up in a plastic bag of course.

We must have had some flies get into the kitchen bin, which is where they seemed to be coming from. I shudder to think how many were still in there! We are now having to reconsider what we do with the food waste from Phoebe's meals, there's quite a lot of it. Current thinking is to pop it in an ice-cream tub and empty it into the main bin in the evening. We'll have to see how that goes.

I also can't help noticing that we seem to be experiencing our second plague although I'm not sure if it was meant to be a plague of maggots or if it's the start of a plague of flies, I suppose it could even be both if we'd left it. So I have to wonder what's coming next, after all plagues come in packs of ten as everyone knows. Unfortunately our plagues aren't following the normal pattern or flies would be quite a bit later on. I doubt it's going to be a river of blood either although that would certainly be interesting to see. I'm not sure if a canal of blood counts but that's probably the closest we could get. I'd think I'd quite like a plague of frogs so fingers crossed for that one.

The lovely Hayley points out we should hope we don't get the death of the first born after all the trouble we went to to get her. I have to agree.

1 comment:

  1. About time you got a wormery: http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop/product.html?product_id=96&-session=shopper:3E196DC313d391D676jsU143C8B8

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now moderated...