Sunday 25 October 2009

Adventures with Windows 7 part 2

Emboldened somewhat by the ease with which the NC10 took to Microsoft's new operating system I thought I'd move on to the main computer. After spending hours running the backup utility, just in case, I tried to begin the upgrade. I thought at first I'd try to move up to 64bit, but no, it seems you can't upgrade from 32bit Vista to 64bit W7, you have to perform a fresh install. Obviously I don't really want to do that as it would mean reinstalling all the other stuff I've put on it over the years.

So, reluctantly, I decided to upgrade to 32bit W7 and do the 64bit upgrade later when I've got myself a bit organised, dug out all the disks for the various bits of software and so on. But no, it seems you can't upgrade from Vista Ultimate to W7 Professional, you have to perform a fresh install. Obviously I don't really want to do that as it would mean reinstalling all the other stuff I've put on it over the years. Hmmm, I seem to have a slight sense of deja vu.

Still, it's good to see that everything's back to normal. I was getting a bit worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated...