Monday 20 December 2010

The Perils of Technology

My fondness for my book reader was diminished slightly last week when it let me down in a way that old fashioned paper books simply couldn't and turned itself off with a flat battery - just as I was about to get on the train. Disaster!

Now obviously I am aware that it is a battery powered device and so I check every night before I go to bed and see if it needs charging. It had been claiming two bars of battery for a very long time, long enough in fact that I was beginning to wonder if something was up. I was still a bit distressing though when it decided that the battery was in fact empty. I used to carry a small rechargeable battery with me for just such emergencies, but that had long given up the ghost. So I was stuck. Or was I?

There was a guy sitting opposite me with a laptop and I briefly pondered whipping out my charging cable and plugging it in to one of the USB ports of 5v goodness he was wantonly flaunting. But only for a second or two. After all, he would have got all sorts of pop up messages telling him a device had connected, so it would hardly have been discreet.

It's another one of those modern ethical dilemmas. Is it OK to borrow a bit of someones electricity if it means you won't be bored on a train? Should I have just asked him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated...