Wednesday 4 November 2009

The Secret You

Another fascinating Horizon episode about what gives us our sense of self. I find this sort of stuff incredibly interesting. I'd read about a lot of the experiments he did (the equally fascinating Mind Hacks book is a great source for interesting psychological tricks you can do at home) but it was cool to see them actually done. It's amazing how easy it is to trick the brain into thinking 'you' are somewhere else other than in your body. Presumably these sort of effects are responsible for out of body experiences too.

I'm so interested in the workings of the brain that sometimes I wonder if I chose the wrong career, but I suppose it's not as dissimilar as it seems at first. It's really trying to understand the software of the brain which isn't too different to understanding any other software. Possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated...