Tuesday 8 June 2010

What I did on my holiday by U. Mungo aged 40 3/4

Yes, it's true I've been more than a little slack about updating the blog. I can only blame complete and utter laziness.

However, I got up to something pretty spectacular last Friday thanks to a groovy birthday present from my lovely wife. I got to drive round Thruxton Race Track in:

A Porsche Cayman
A Ferrari 430 Scuderia

And a Formula Renault Single Seater


Needless to say it was excellent fun, great instructors, great cars and superb weather.

While the Ferrari has excellent pose value and the Porsche very easy to drive, the car I enjoyed the most was the single seater. Despite being rev limited to 4,500 RPM it was still good for around 115 down the back straight and presumably the wings gave it some measure of downforce for the corners. It felt absolutely astonishing and cornered like it was on rails. It's also the first time I've ever felt the wind on my face like that, presumably nothing new to motorcyclists but a novel experience for me. It'll go round corners a lot faster than I will, that's for sure! A quick back of an envelope calculation based on the photograph creation times (yes I bought the CD of photos) puts me doing lap times of just over 2 minutes, which is pretty weak but I wasn't actually trying to go fast, just to drive the lap properly like the instructors had showed me. That said over 2.4 miles that works out at about 70 miles an hour so I was hardly hanging around. The lap record though is under a minute, so I've got a little way to go yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are now moderated...